It’s cool to the touch, it glides across your skin like water, yet it’s soft as the finest swatch of cashmere. It’s the weave of worms, spun from preservation – from instinct and pure, unbridled nature.
Silk is the fabric of nobility, of kings and queens of old – and it has a best-kept secret up its sleeve.
Beyond its extravagant texture, its buttery-soft comfort that will leave you feeling like royalty, silk can actually help you sleep better, and help to make your hair and skin softer.
The unexpected benefits of silk
We’ve talked before about the many benefits of beauty sleep. Outfitting your bedroom – the space you spend somewhere around 30 years of your life – with glorious silk is an expansion on the idea, helping you to get an even better, more restful beauty sleep each night. That means a healthier, stronger and happier you!
Let’s take a quick look at 5 benefits of sleeping on silk, to see if it’s right for your self-care routine.
5 ways silk enhances your beauty sleep
- Softens hair and skin – Where cotton acts like a sponge through the night, sucking moisture from your hair, silk cradles it without stealing that all-important H2O. This helps your skin and hair retain more moisture so that you’ll awaken with dewy skin and softer hair.
- Minimizes hair frizz – This perk follows from the first, because more moisture in your hair means less frizz (not to mention less annoyance). That means you can enjoy volume without looking like you’ve put your finger in an electrical socket. ;)
- Reduces hair breakage – Dryness and friction are hair’s worst nightmare. Because silk is about the softest, smoothest fabric around it doesn’t ‘catch’ on your hair. That means there’s less chance of friction and breakage (especially since those strands are stronger and more supple with that extra moisture), and more chance of softer, dreamier locks.
- Boasts hypoallergenic and anti-inflammatory properties – Because of its chemical make-up, silk is often great for those with allergies and other sensitivities (especially of the skin) as it’s hypoallergenic and oh-so-easy on the skin.
- Leaves you cooler throughout the night – Not only does silk help you sleep more comfortably because it doesn’t catch on your skin or hair, but it also helps you sleep cooler, and more comfortably because it is incredibly breathable. This helps reduce your overall hair oils, avoiding the overproduction of sebum and clogged pores. Talk about a win-win!
Now that you know a few more ‘silky’ secrets, the next consideration is where to start!
And the perfect place to switch to silk first? Your pillowcase!
Why you should invest in a silk pillowcase
Our hair and our sensitive facial skin rests through the night on our pillowcase, and that means it’s the first place you should focus on for the big switch! Your facial skin and your hair should be rejuvenating in an environment that is clean, comfortable, soothing and even safeguarded throughout the night.
With a silk pillowcase, you’re doing just that!
If you’re looking to enhance your beauty routine, silk is a great next investment. With all that silk has to offer, not only will you enjoy a better night’s sleep, with healthier, happier hair and skin, but you’ll also feel like a queen when you fall asleep, and the moment you wake up.
Not a bad way to end each night and begin each day, is it?