Greasy hair can be a good look when paired with piercing blue eyes and a crooked smile.
It can be downright electrifying!
Greasy locks may have been in at one time – and perhaps they’re even primed to make a comeback – but for most of us, oily hair is not, in the (misquoted) words of Danny and Sandy, 🎶the look that we want🎵
What causes oily hair?
Excess production of sebum (oil) from our scalp’s sebaceous glands is the root cause (excuse the pun) of oily hair. While sebum helps to keep our hair moisturized and flexible, too much of it slicks up those locks faster than ‘greased lightnin’.’
Excess sebum can be the result of:
- Overwashing or under-washing hair
- Touching hair too much with fingers
- Using too much or too many hair products
- Skin conditions like dandruff or eczema
- Genetic disposition
Dry shampoo offers more than a quick, oil-absorbing solution
Besides absorbing excess oil, dry shampoo can act as a natural hair and scalp treatment, especially with dandruff-fighting properties like tea tree oil and apple cider vinegar contain.
DIY dry shampoo recipes for every hair color
Whatever your hair color, from blonde to black and every color in-between, we have a super-simple dry shampoo recipe you can create in a jiffy, and from all-natural ingredients. You may even have some of these ingredients sitting inside your kitchen pantry right now!
Use the recipes below as a guide, but feel free to experiment (and adjust to match) with each ingredient to see which one matches your hair tone and color the best:
1. Light hair dry shampoo recipe
Shout out to all you blondies out there, it’s time to have even MORE fun!
- Light blonde hair: 1 tablespoon arrowroot/cornstarch powder + essential oil of your choice.
- Dirty blonde – light brown hair: 1 tablespoon arrowroot/cornstarch powder + 1 teaspoon cocoa powder + essential oil of your choice.
2. Red hair dry shampoo recipe
Spicy, sassy red-heads, we love you just as you are!
- Red hair: 1 tablespoon arrowroot/cornstarch powder + 1 teaspoon cinnamon + essential oil of your choice.
3. Dark hair dry shampoo recipe
Mysterious and alluring, dark hair deserves the best!
- Dark brown hair: 1 tablespoon arrowroot/cornstarch powder + 1 teaspoon cocoa powder + 1 teaspoon activated charcoal powder + essential oil of your choice.
- Black hair: 1 tablespoon arrowroot/cornstarch powder + 1 teaspoon activated charcoal powder + essential oil of your choice.
4. Gray and ‘out-of-this-world’ hair dry shampoo recipe
Isn’t there a saying somewhere about gray hair being your splendor? We think the same is true about bright pink or blue hair too!
- Gray hair: 1 tablespoon arrowroot/cornstarch powder + 1 teaspoon bentonite clay powder + essential oil of your choice.
- Any color of the rainbow hair: 1 tablespoon arrowroot/cornstarch powder + essential oil of your choice.
Final touches and how to apply your dry shampoo powder
Pour your mixture into a cute jar, preferably with a lid to seal in freshness, then top it off with a label. Grab an old make-up brush, dab it into the powder, then touch and brush onto your roots in sections. Scrunch and rub the powder into the roots with your fingers, gently comb through with your favorite hairbrush, and voila! Fresher, healthier hair, with an irresistible essential oil scent!
Long-wear hair is always in
Use dry shampoo in-between your wash days (aim for washing every three to four days) and enjoy the experiment as you search for your correct shade and ideal essential oil fragrance!
But if that greasy-look is your style, you go for it! :) After all, some of the greatest have pulled the look off, and we think you can too!
Although if you ask us, we think Olivia Newton-John’s fresh, fluffy locks were the result of a great dry shampoo ;)