So, it’s natural that thinning hair or hair loss can trigger immediate alarm (see our founder’s story).
Though there are many causes behind thinning hair, like:
- Genetics, chronic stress or hormonal changes
- Vitamin/mineral deficiencies
- Damage from heat or styling
- And more!
The good news is – you’re not powerless! There are a few key steps you can take to start thickening your hair. The best part is, they are simple, all-natural methods you can start incorporating today.
Step One: Adjust your dietGrowing thick, healthy hair, starts from the inside – out! That means supplying your body with proper vitamins and nutrients is essential for it to build stronger, healthier hair.
Aim to eat:
- Iron-rich foods like spinach, beans, peas, pumpkin seeds, chicken, pork, and red meats
- Lean proteins like eggs, beans, lentils, quinoa, Greek yogurt, salmon and white meats
- Collagen-producing ingredients like vitamin C-rich citrus fruits, strawberries, red peppers and broccoli
Aim to take:
Our beauty-meets-science formula gives your body the precise vitamins and minerals it needs to build thicker, healthier hair.Aim to drink:
- At least 8, 8 Oz. glasses of water per day for more flexible hair strands. Also, aim to avoid (or drink sparingly) sugary drinks like soda, energy drinks and sports drinks.
Step Two: Switch up stylingSometimes all it takes to boost hair thickness is to tweak our hair styling routine! Factors like heat, constant pulling and product application can all contribute to thinning hair. The solution is simple: get a little more creative with your styling regime!
Aim to avoid:
- Tight hairstyles such as ponytails and braids which pull on your scalp, creating friction and stress on the follicles, which can lead to thinning hair
- Extreme heat styling and sun exposure, which can shock your hair, damaging and thinning it out
- Let your hair air-dry, or, if you must use a heat-styling tool, be sure to apply a heat protectant before styling
- Wear a cute hat on bright summer days
- Allow your locks a rest day from any styling products
Step Three: Take time for quality hair & scalp careIt’s those little daily habits that create the biggest impacts overall! By taking the time to properly care for our hair and our scalp, we’re allowing ourselves space to grow healthier, more beautiful hair every day.
- Apply a leave-in conditioning hair mask such as HAIRLOVE Nourish + Repair Serum after every shower so you can lock in moisture and keep your hair lubricated
- Use a shampoo containing biotin, keratin, and amino-acids, along with a hydrating conditioner to promote growth
- Frequently massage your scalp with our Detox Scalp Massager to promote blood circulation (plus it just feels plain heavenly!)
- Occasionally treat your hair and scalp to eliminate product build-up so your hair can grow unhindered – a great natural hair detox involves a combination of ½ cup each apple cider vinegar, aloe vera gel and bentonite clay, then letting it sit for 10 minutes on the hair before gently rinsing it out
- Get a trim every eight weeks or so to get rid of split ends and keep your hair growing strong