How Self-Isolation Can Help Your Hair
We’re all about silver linings here at Hair Love. We like to see the sunshine despite the clouds, and the rainbows through the rain. Especially during this time of self-isolation and social distancing, it’s important to keep a positive mindset.
While this has been a challenging time for all of us, in many different ways, there are silver linings gleaming through, reminding us that good things sprout from any situation!
One of those silver linings is how this time of self-isolation has actually been a great benefit to your crowning glory – AKA: your hair!
How self-isolation is actually helping your hair
With few places to go and few people to see, you’re likely not doing much with your hair, and that means it’s on the ultimate break right now.
For those who are sheltering in place, there’s no reason to go through the morning ritual of doing your hair. That means many of us aren’t drying it out with heat styling tools, overwashing it, or subjecting it to harsh, damaging products. Though the result may not be your best hair day, the reward is you're likely seeing less breakage, more hydration, and overall, a more glorious mane.
Your hair is on the ultimate sabbatical, and it’s loving you for it!
The rest is great, but if you’ve got extra time on your hands, as so many of us do now, try the tips below to really get the most out of your hair R&R!
7 tips to help your hair stay healthy in isolation
- Wash your hair less often (and use a dry shampoo to keep it looking, smelling and feeling fresh!)
- Dry your hair by alternating between air-drying and with wrapping it in a silk scarf (silk is great for your hair as it leaves your hair more moisturized than other fabrics)
- Comb through your hair slowly and carefully as you don’t want to risk breakage (Hair Love’s Denman Hairbrush is specifically-designed to gently comb through tangles)
- Use nourishing hair masks more often such as argan oil or aloe vera (heck, why not apply one every day?!)
- Drink more H20 (aim for 8, 8Oz cups per day) to keep your hair hydrated from the inside out
- Apply a heat protectant before you use a heat styling tool (heat protectants insulate and dissipate extreme heat so it won’t be as damaging to your hair)
- Trim those split ends (if you dare 😉)
3 Quick and easy hairstyles for stepping out of the house
Though your hair is on a hiatus, there are moments when you’ll need to step out of the house (or special moments when you want to have a date-night in!) and you’ll still want your hair to look presentable – without resorting to drastic measures...
For those times, here are three quick and easy hairstyles for stepping out of the house:
1. Side Braid
Going 'asymmetrical' is an easy way to give your look a bit of contrast – and even a bit of an edge. Plus braiding one side of your head is a little easier on the arms! 😉
Quick and easy, adding hair accessories like bright ribbons, berets, or the lazy woman’s best friend – a cute hat – will add some extra charm to your look in seconds.
3. Double bun
For double the fun, why not try a double bun?! This cute and whimsical look will glam up your appearance almost effortlessly. And don't be afraid to let those buns be a little messy!