The number one rule of hair care?
Don’t over-wash it.
So, between wash days – especially for those of us with oilier scalps – we spray, pat and brush dry shampoo through our hair, soaking up excess oil and trying to keep it looking fresh and fabulous.
Sound about right?
The problem is, applying dry shampoo too frequently can damage your hair and scalp.
How does dry shampoo work?
Dry shampoo doesn’t actually clean your hair. The ingredients (starch, alcohol, etc.) are meant to absorb oil – which gives the illusion that your hair is clean.
And while it’s good to extend the time between those wash days, those ingredients in many dry shampoos on the market can dry out your hair and scalp… which can be just as bad as over-washing your hair.
The pros and cons of dry shampooPros:
- Builds volume
- Saves styling time
- Extends wash days
- Can offer some anti-fungal benefits with the right natural ingredients (like peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils)
- Harsh ingredients can dry hair out and can lead to shedding and breakage
- Oil, dirt and bacteria can clog hair follicles, disrupting oil production and cause inflammation, scaliness and itchiness
- Product build-up and dead skin cells can lead to fungal infections and inhibit healthy new hair growth
Tips and alternatives for using dry shampoo
So should we stop using dry shampoo altogether?
Not at all.
We love dry shampoo and we think the pros of using it are worth it - however, like most things in life, the key is balance and moderation.
To keep your hair and scalp healthy, we’ve got some great alternatives and tips for moderation to keep in mind, including:
- Don’t use dry shampoo more than two days in a row
- Opt for an organic, natural-based dry shampoo with non-drying ingredients like Briogeo Scalp Revival Charcoal + Biotin Dry Shampoo
- Use a natural DIY Dry Shampoo Recipe For Your Hair Color!
- Avoid using a conditioner on your scalp during your wash days
- When your hair is oily, rock the sleek look! This works really well if you have straight hair. Brush it into a low pony, part down the middle and slick your hair down with a bit of natural hair oil. Very chic 😘
- Increase the frequency of washing your hair, but balance it out by using a hair mask the night before your wash day – like argan oil! Check out How to Apply an Argan Oil Hair Mask
- Use a detox scalp treatment more frequently to unclog hair follicles - our Scalp Detox Massager is a heavenly way to achieve this!