Essential oils have long been used because of their powerful aromatherapy benefits. They can help calm and relax the senses, or perk you up and get you ready to take on the day.
But, did you know essential oils also carry with them a host of other benefits, such as boosting new hair growth?
Before we dive into the benefits, let’s first take a look at what essential oils actually are.
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are the highly-concentrated extracted 'essence' of plants. The 'essence' carries with it the plant's natural fragrance and active ingredients.
Once essential oils have been extracted (via steam/water distillation, evaporation, or mechanical cold-pressing), they are typically mixed with a carrier oil (such as argan oil), to help dilute their potency and allow them to be applied more easily to the skin.
The best essential oils to boost hair growth
From our digging, we’ve discovered that some of the best essential oils to help boost hair-growth are also heavenly for the senses.
Check out the list below and see which essential oils appeal most to you. With so many options, you’re sure to find the right fragrance for you!
**As always, when trying out a new product, do a spot test on a small patch of skin before you apply it to your scalp. Because of their potency, essential oils could cause a skin-reaction, respiratory-reaction, and even headaches if you aren’t used to them.**
- Peppermint – Fresh and bright, peppermint not only gets that scalp tingling, sending more blood flow to the area, but it’s an anti-inflammatory too, relieving dryness and itchiness of the scalp. In one study, it even helped increase follicle-number and follicle-depth.
- Lavender – Besides being a great stress-reducer, the lovely, aromatic lavender actually helped to generate new cell growth in a laboratory setting. It’s also antimicrobial and has shown to help prevent head lice.
- Lemongrass – Another mesmerizing fragrance, lemongrass pulls you into a bright yellow meadow on a warm summer day. As well as brightening your mood, it has also shown to be a powerful anti-dandruff treatment, keeping that scalp as healthy as can be.
- Rosemary – Is someone roasting up a chicken? Just kidding. While rosemary brings to mind a cozy kitchen, it’s also a promising hair-growth essential oil. In one study, it performed as well as a commercial hair-growth supplement, but with less scalp-itching side effects.
- Ylang Ylang – Is there anything more delicious than ylang ylang? Another deliciously divine fragrance that helps unwind frazzled nerves, this wonder-essential oil works as a natural conditioner and is known to help normalize sebum (oil) production.
- Clary Sage – We think you’ll feel wise with this wonderfully-smelling essential oil. It’s known as an antioxidant that helps control sebum production.
How to mix essential oils into a carrier oil for your growth-boosting hair treatment
Add a few drops of your chosen essential oil to a carrier oil like argan oil, then massage with your fingers through your scalp and hair. Let the mixture sit on your hair for 15 – 30 minutes, then wash out. You can apply an essential oil treatment up to 3 times per week!
Argan oil is an excellent carrier oil as it is rich in vitamins A and E, as well as monounsaturated fatty acids – all great ingredients to keep that mane strong, shiny and healthy!
You can also use those essential oils in your dry shampoo recipes for added benefits and to liven them up, naturally.
Relax and ‘sink in’ to your aromatherapy hair treatment!
Not only will these hair treatments help boost hair growth, add some glow, strengthen and keep your scalp healthier, you can also truly relax and enjoy the treatment as a form of self-love. After all, every hard-working woman needs some extra ‘Hair Love’ every now and again!
Enjoy, beauty. :)